I love the cold season and the fact that I can wear sweaters more often, but sometimes it can be tough to pick flattering plus size sweaters. Since I’ve been down this road a few times in the past, I thought I would share some great tips to help you find the right sweater to flatter your figure while also keeping you warm.
How To Pick Flattering Sweaters For Plus Size Figures
Avoid fussy patterns and thick textures. I love a fun pattern on clothing, but sometimes it can be a tough thing to pull off when you are wearing an already bulk adding sweater. With thick textures like cable knit, you can find even more frustration with the appearance of added pounds.
- Choose solid colors over patterns for a more slimming look.
- Pick smaller patterns instead of big patterns to avoid the bulky look.
- Avoid thick cable knit textures that add bulk to your body.
- Layer sweaters with blouses or long sleeved tees underneath to avoid the thick bulky textures.
Know when to buy fitted or loose styles. The style of sweater you buy can make a big difference in how you look. Sweaters for plus size figures don’t have to be big and bulky or made to cover problem areas. You can find amazing fitted sweaters ideal for business wear that are also super flattering to a plus size figure.
- Look for slim fitted styles to go over a blouse and wear with dress pants, jeans, or a skirt for a pulled together look that flatters curves while adding warmth and style.
- Choose longer loose fit sweaters for wearing over skinny jeans or leggings with boots for a casual but comfortable look. I absolutely love the LuLaRoe Sarah sweater! It’s the perfect long sweater and it looks awesome with pencil skirts, dresses or jeans!
Purchase the right neckline for your figure. This is something I learned many years ago and have discovered really can change an entire look. Necklines on blouses and sweaters can add or subtract pounds in an instant.
- V-neck sweaters are ideal for those with a larger chest. If the v-neck is not too low, it will help draw the eyes to the neck and face and away from the larger chest. However, a low v-neck can accentuate the bosom and help make it look larger. A classic simple v-neck is great for plus size or larger busted women, while a deep plunging v-neck is ideal for a smaller chested woman looking to make her size more proportionate in appearance.
- Large wide scoop neck sweaters are ideal for smaller chests and frames. If you carry your weight on the lower half of your body in a more pear shape, a scoop neck is a great way to give the appearance of better proportions and make your chest look larger.
- Turtleneck sweaters are rarely considered flattering in today’s fashion, but they can be pulled off by someone that has a more squared shoulder or overall structured shape. They look best with a light vest, cardigan, or some statement jewelry that draws the eyes away from the neckline.
These tips for how to find flattering sweaters for plus size figures will make the upcoming cooler temperatures easier for you to manage. Having a great variety of sweaters in your wardrobe is just what you need to pull comfort and fashion together for a fun winter look.
More Fashion Tips:
- Plus Size Fashion Fall Cardigans
- 5 Ways To Hide or Cover Roots Between Salon Appointments
- Best Places To Find Wide Calf Boots For Plus Size Women